The first stone houses on the Brussels Grand-Place were built on the South side from the 14th century onwards -the side on which the Townhall too was built . One of them, the house called "the Hille" (The Terp) and later "De Goulden Boom) (the Golden Tree) was situated on the premises where, today, the Brewers’House stands.
The brewers’guild founded in the 14th century, buys the "Gulden Boom" premises at the end of the 16th century. In 1695, however, the French army bombs the city of Brussels under Field Marshal de Villeroi. Mosqt houses on the Grand-Place are distroyed. The brewers, however, decide to finance the reconstruction of their house and commission architect Willem De Bruyn to do so.
Baroque and Flemish decorative elements merge in the façade. The equestrian statue on top of the building is a 1901 copy of a mid-eighteenth-century work of art. It is of the guild,s benefactor, Charles of Lorraine.
In 1951 the Belgian brewers’ association moves back into the house that had been built under the guild patronage two hundred and fifty years earlier, thus giving back its initial function to the former "Gulden Boom".
The Union of Belgian Brewers, uniting all the breweries in the country, has made the old vaulted basements into a national brewers’museum.
T : + 32 (0)2 511 49 87
F : + 32 (0)2 511 32 59